Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Secret Invasion #8(of 8)

This is it, according to Marvel's preview for this comic book, not only am I not prepared for what will happen in this comic, the Marvel Universe will never be the same again!!! Uh-oh, my bulls### sense is tingling...

Overall- Since I'm too pissed of to really commentate on what I just read, I'll stick completely with the facts... For now... The Wasp has become an ever growing biological bomb that would eventually explode, taking the Earth with it. Thor, being the only one who could withstand the toxins in the air managed to kill the Wasp, with what looked like a giant whirlwind... The Skrull Queen, was still standing, and as the grieving heroes rushed her, it was Norman Osborn who shot her in the side of the head, killing her, and ending the Skrull threat.

From there, the heroes cleaned up the residual damage, and captured as many Skrulls as they could. Thor was still uber-pissed at Iron Man, still blaming Tony for Steve Rogers'(Captain America)death, as well as the entire Skrull invasion. Damn straight! The heroes discover a prison craft, containing the heroes who were captured and replaced by the Skrulls, including Invisible Woman, Hank Pym, Spider-Woman, Jarvis, Dum Dum Dugan and Mockingbird..... I'll have ALOT more to say about that last name before this post is finished...

The President of the United States decides that Norman Osborn was the real hero of the day(OOOK...)and gives Norman absolute control of what was left of S.H.I.E.L.D.(that's strange, I thought S.H.I.E.L.D. was an international organization...), as well as the Avengers, the 50 state Initiative, and the Thunderbolts... Hey, sure, what the f### right? Norman was REVEALED as the Green f###ing Goblin, and was in prison due to his crimes as the Goblin. Why not put him in charge of EVERYTHING! HOLY F###ING S###!!!!

As one final kick in my ass, the final page reveals that Norman is secretly working with Namor, Dr, Doom, Loki(who for some reason is STILL a woman), The Hood, and Emma Frost(but wait, I thought she was a hero now? Oh never mind...). So, all this final page tells me is that Marvel is already planting the seeds for next summer's crossover, which will surely involve this group of villains facing off against the heroes... YAY, another meaningless crossover to look forward to!

Now, I have a question. What the F### was Mockingbird doing on the Skrull prison ship???? She died in West Coast Avengers #100. She took a blast in the back from Mephisto, and DIED in Hawkeye's arms. Please, somebody explain to me why she was now NOT DEAD??? Don't get me wrong, I really liked Mockingbird, and her relationship with Hawkeye was one of the best things about the West Coast Avengers. With that being said her return made ABSOLUTELY NO GODDAMN SENSE! To further drive me insane, Clint just accepts that that was his wife returned from the dead and doesn't bother to question it. Well, even though Clint didn't want to know how Bobbi survived being killed by the f###ing devil, I would've really liked to have known.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I pulled out my copy of West Coast Avengers #100, and went right to Bobbi's death scene(which I'll try to scan and post tomorrow). Bobbi jumps in front of Clint and takes a fireball meant for him right in the back. She then, while bleeding from the mouth, dramatically dies in Hawkeye's arms while her teammates gather around her. The issue closes with the Avengers burying Bobbi in a grave after a memorial service. I didn't make this up, I just read it! Besides that, Bobbi shows up as an apparition in Avengers(series 3)#11, appears in Hell in Thunderbolts Annual 2000 and appears from the afterlife in the "X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl" mini-series. So, yes, Bobbi Barton did indeed die, and has been repeatedly shown as being dead and in the afterlife!

Now do you see why Brian Bendis' writing manages to piss me off so badly? If you are going to bring back a dead character, give a damn reason! He just doesn't care what other writers have written before him. Bendis exists solely to mangle, change and destroy the work of past writers. I honestly believe Bendis should have just stuck to writing Ultimate Spider-Man, and the other Ultimate titles, that way he could do what ever the f### he wanted to, without screwing up the mainstream Marvel Universe.

Well, that's it. "Secret Invasion" is finally over. I know this crossover will find itself in the furthest recesses of my comic book collection, and I doubt I will ever bother to read any of these comic books again. Overall, for the entire "Secret Invasion" mini-series, I'll give it a score of 2 out of 10. There were just too many things that made no sense and were never explained. Please Marvel, PLEASE don't have another crossover again next year. I can see the way the wind is blowing though, and I next year at this time I predict I will be bemoaning yet another horrible Marvel crossover event...

No comments:

Post a Comment