Saturday, May 1, 2010

Green Lantern #53

Once again it's only going to be one review tonight. Sorry, but the impending end of the school year plus the unseasonably hot temperatures have led me to read less comics then usual as of late. Once the temperatures cool back off/it starts raining all the time again, I'll be back to 2 to 3 reviews a night again, scout's honor! Hmm, I wonder exactly what scout's honor means coming from someone like me who was never a boy scout... Anyway, before I start to ramble(it's slowly beginning as I'm sure you can see!)let me get this review finished up!

Green Lantern#53: Writer: Geoff Johns. Pencils: Doug Mahnke.
Last Issue: 8 out of 10.

Review: We start things up with Hector Hammond, who is still locked up in Belle Reve Prison, communicating with some mystery character in a far off galaxy. The mystery character appears to have been one of the Guardians of the Universe's chosen protectors several millennia ago, but was cast out for some reason. The mystery character goes on to claim that he/she will once again protect the universe... Uh-oh, is this yet ANOTHER Geoff Johns retcon?!? From there we head to Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris sharing a drink. The two talk and flirt a bit and wind up racing jets. While racing, they are targeted by an unidentified flying object and they are both shot down. Luckily, both characters had their respective Corps rings with them, and as such were able to survive the explosion. Upon emerging from the smoke, they find Sinestro, who claims that he is only there to talk. After a slight skirmish, Sinestro manages to convince Hal and Carol that he really wasn't looking for a fight, and that he was only there because the White Lantern Power Battery he had found in Brightest Day #0 was asking for Hal. Next up we head to Metropolis, where we find Lex Luthor(Umm, shouldn't he be with Brainiac?), who is trying to locate a Black Lantern Ring in order to attempt to harness its powers. Unfortunately, Lex is accosted by(aw hell...)Larfleeze... *sigh Larfleeze demands to know what the most valuable thing on Earth is, and Lex responds power. Larfleeze complains that he already has power and demands to know what else is considered of value on Earth. Lex thinks for a moment before telling Larfleeze that land is also a highly valuable commodity, which greatly interests Larfleeze. In Coast City, Saint Barry Allen and Saint Walker go about reburying the dead who rose during Blackest Night. This issue ends on the planet Ysmault where Ganthet and Guy Gardner attempt to come to an arrangement with the leader of the Red Lanterns, Atrocitus.

What I Thought: Umm, there was some good and some bad here... Obviously the bad was Larfleeze. I HATE Larfleeze. In the beginning I found him kind of funny, but now I just find him terribly, terribly annoying! I also don't get why Lex was in Metropolis, seeing as that he is currently a major part of the Last Stand of New Krypton storyline. With Geoff being DC's Mr. Everything, you'd think that he would have known to have not used Lex in this issue. I liked the Sinestro/Hal/Carol parts and was intrigued by the Ganthet/Atrocitus/Guy Gardner parts, so I guess I'd say there was more good then bad in this one, although I can see that things are going to be a big mess until Brightest Day is over...

Score: 8 out of 10.I have no reason for posting this scene except that I thought it looked pretty awesome.

8 comments:

  1. That dude Atrocitus has some friggin Dolphin teeth, really. And I liked Larfleeze more in his earlier appearances but I still like him, hell I like Saint Walker and Indigo-1 a lot less than I like him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's one place we're going to have to agree to disagree BIG TIME about JT! I'll take 20 Saint Walkers over one Larfleeze any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to respond to that lol, okay then smart guy, Saint Barry or Larfleeze?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have no idea of the history of Larfleeze and Atrocitus, BUT, I do favor Atrocitus, something about him sparks my interest. And I'm so freaking curious about this mystery guardian person. lol.

    I felt that Larfleeze and lex scene was stupid, like land? really that's what you want land? Talk about lame. lol.

    And Hector Hammond has a huuuuge head. Lol. He reminds me of a big head Sinestro lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, that's a really tough question JT... I guess I'd have to take Larfleeze over the Sainted One. Yes my hatred of the Saint runs that deep!

    Yay, I've got Falisha on my side! :-) Atrocitus is an awesome looking and pretty interesting character, while Larfleeze is... well, not! You know, I never noticed it, but Hammond sure does look like a big head Sinestro, doesn't he! Hell, if he had Sinestro's skin color, he'd BE a big head Sinestro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah! I'm on X's side!!!

    And you know I'm known to be into the fine details of comics sometimes lol. But that was just hilarious when I saw him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is odd that they're going after land - it better not be the same plan as the one from Superman: Returns...

    Bobblehead Sinestro much?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bobblehead!! lol Why didn't I think of that? Just genius Nagash Lol.

    ReplyDelete