Monday, December 19, 2011

Deathstroke #4

Alright, here's an interesting comic book... I enjoyed the HELL out of the first issue of this series. It did EXACTLY what the DC reboot needed to do. It took a character that had become stale and revitalized him. Instead of leading around The Worst Titans Ever, Deathstroke had become a MEGA bad-ass again, killing suckas left and right. And then the second issue dropped. And it was more of the same. And then the third issue came out. And it was the exact same thing... The first issue established Slade as a beast, it did it's job perfectly. We don't need the same comic book ad nauseam! Hopefully this issue actually has more than the regular, “Slade takes a job, has minor difficulty and then dismembers people.” Oh yeah, and if we don't get to find out what's in that suitcase, I'm going to be mighty pissed...

Deathstroke #4:

What Happened: Deathstroke takes a job(killing a prison warden IN his prison), has minor difficulty and then dismembers people... What? That's pretty much what happened! Bottom line though, Slade makes good and kills the warden and escapes the prison. From there he gives his ally, Christoph some time off, at least until Slade is met by his tech man, Peabody. Peabody, having examined the contents of the suitcase, returns and tells Slade that the contents appeared to be genuine. And what are the contents? The mask and knife used by Slade's son, Ravager(!!!). Peabody points Slade to the Blackhawks(specifically one named Attila), so that's where Slade goes. Slade manages to track down Attila, but it seems Attila doesn't know anything about Ravager, Attila was only interested in shutting down Peabody. Meanwhile, somebody breaks into Christoph's home and stabs him in the eye with a big knife as a message for Slade.

The Good: The good? We finally discovered what was in that goddamn suitcase! That's the good! Not only that, but it was something relatively interesting. For the most part, the story was good, as was the art. The first half of this comic was really quite enjoyable. The ending with Christoph was interesting and should lead to a VERY angry Slade when he finds out what happened.

The Bad: Unfortunately, the second half of this comic was less enjoyable... The Peabody/Blackhawks stuff didn't really lead anywhere or make much sense.

The Verdict: I really liked this issue. It seems that I can simply turn my brain off when I read an issue of this series and just drift through all of the senseless violence without having to really think too hard about stuff. Every now and then, it's good to have a comic like that to just veg out on. Add finally finding out what was in the suitcase, and the fact that the contents actually could lead to something interesting, and I'm a happy camper. See, I don't ask for too much!

Score: 8 1/2 out of 10.Well, it wasn't a mini Wally West, but it wasn't that bad either.

18 comments:

  1. YEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yh6SriAjdE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the content of the suitcase is something important, at least for him. But for your review still is the same stuff again an again.. And What about Rose? Are they still in touch?

    ..Just for curiosity, X. Have you seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, I STILL haven't seen Batman Begins OR Dark Knight! So yeah, I still have ways to go before I'm ready for the third movie!

    Honestly? I can't disagree with you, Alien. This issue was more of the same. But I am hopeful that the reveal of the suitcase's contents will lead to something, as well as Christoph getting his eye poked out. As for Rose, to be completely honest with you, that doesn't even bug me as much as it should. I just shrug my shoulders, chalk it up to the reboot and move on. Does it make sense that Rose hasn't mentioned Slade(or Grant) or vice-versa? No, but half the stuff with the reboot doesn't make sense. I'm starting to learn to ignore DC's stranger decisions better now. If I think about all of the things about the reboot that doesn't make sense or that I hate I'd go crazy!! Or crazier than I already am! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before i go on to my main comment i'll admit: i don't know all that much about the dc universe but isn't ravager a girl and didn't that mask look a bunch like the one deadpool wears in x-force?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I DID NOT pick up on how much that mask/helmet looks like X-Force DP's! I mean it's practically identical! Nice catch, Anon, because I didn't see that until you brought it up, and now that's all I see when I look at that scan!

    The very first Ravager was Deathstroke's son Grant(Rose was the second Ravager, I think...). He appeared and died in the same comic Deathstroke first appeared in(I have the comic but I'm blanking on which one it was... New Teen Titans #2? Something like that). There was some story about HIVE(I think) and Grant having a disease that made him age prematurely(maybe because of the treatments he received to get Deathstroke-like powers?). Bottom line, Grant died in Slade's arms and Slade swore a life-long vengeance on the Titans as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jaja I'm not pissed, just curios to know if they are going to interact at some point, since I'm not reading this Superboy

    Men WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes but if you look for some info about Deapool creation, you are going to find a lot of coincidence between them. Or why do you think they both are called Wilson?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly wonder if Slade and Rose and even related, Alien... I mean nowadays nothing DC does surprises me, so who's to say they won't just say that they are two characters with the same surname, but aren't related in any way...

    That is a GREAT point! We all know Deadpool was directly based on Deathstroke, maybe now DC is going to pay Marvel back by making Slade's son a complete rip-off of Deadpool! That would actually be rather clever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. FINALLY!! We see what's in the briefcase. I was too excited to finally find out....and once I did....I was disappointed but defintiely interested. This issue was going to be the final verdict of whether or not I was going to continue reading this series.

    Damn writers always pull me back in!! I really enjoyed this issue. I can never get tired of Deathstroke lol. And I was sad to see what happen to Christoph lol, I was beginning to like him.

    I'm definitely anxious to get the next issue. I know Slade is about to be PISSED! Let the slaughtering begin!!q

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was waiting to see what you thought about this one, Lisha. My feeling is that it could have been something way worse, so I'm relayively happy about the contents of the suitcase. As for Christoph, I'm kind of hoping he'll just have a matching eyepatch with Slade, 'cause like you, I'd hate to see him out of this series, he's fit in well. But yeah, moving forward Slade is going to be PISSED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the record X, if I may correct you because I'd forgotten Ravager was Grant's son, I just heard the mask was there and I assumed it was the Ravager that preceded Rose, which was Slade's brother. So yeah, Grant, (then two others according the one that sliced Jericho's throat) then Slade's brother Wade, then Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll take your word for that, JT. I always thought Grant was Ravager #1 and Rose was Ravager #2, I was unaware of another Ravager in there anywhere. I mean I know Grant first appeared in the same issue as Slade(and died as Ravager) which makes me see him as the first Ravager. But I guess there very well could have been other Ravagers prior to Grant and between Grant and Rose. Of course, in the new DCU, who knows who has or hasn't been Ravager. But since it was Grant mentioned by name I'm gonna guess he's the only Ravager in the new DCU... I guess... Man, this can really give you a headache trying to figure all of this stuff out! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. "My feeling is that it could have been something way worse, so I'm relayively happy about the contents of the suitcase."

    Exactly what I thought once I saw what was in there. Great relief actually,lol.

    And I do hope Christoph is here for a while. Maybe he'll seek his own revenge. Christoph/Deathstroke team up. lol. Ha wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HA! I was so prepared for it to be something REALLY awful, like Slade's eye or something... :D

    Or maybe Christoph will blame Slade and turn on him. As long as Christoph is still around, I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know that Slade's Brother was named Wade, that is another in joke in the creation of Deadpool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The ONLY reason I remember the other Ravager being Slade's bro, is because in the last Teen Titan series before Bart become Kid Flash, that Ravager kidnapped Rose and the Titans went to save her, I believe the first arc was by Johns too, so you probably blocked it from your mind, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HA! You could be right, JT... There's SO much I blocked from my mind from Johns now... :P

    ReplyDelete