Thursday, January 26, 2012

Teen Titans #5

Huh, check it out, I'm already reading a DC comic this week! Usually the DC books I pick up reside at or around the bottom of my new comic pile, so it's nice to see that I'm actually somewhat interested in giving one a read. The past few issues of this series? I have to admit, I've enjoyed them. Greatly. This is on the very short list of DC books that I read that I enjoy, so here's hoping that trend continues.

Teen Titans #5:

Summary: With Superboy prepared to take Wonder Girl back to his masters at NOWHERE(yep, that would be ANOTHER evil government agency...), the other Teen Titans(roll call! Red Robin, Kid Flash, Solstice & Bunker) step in to stop him. The Titans fight like the black ninjas in those old martial arts movies, attacking SB one at a time, and as such, are dismissed with relative ease. Eventually the only Titans left standing is Solstice, and she tells SB that the forces at NOWHERE aren't interested in protecting the world from teenage meta-humans, but want to... I don't know, do something EVIL with the captured kids instead. SB knocks Solstice out, but her words haunt him so he dumps the NOWHERE truck that was monitoring him into a river and heads off in search of Templar and some answers. As for the Titans, they are all left laying.

Thoughts: Sheesh, the Titans sure looked like crap in this issue, didn't they!? Superboy defeating the team CAN be overlooked however, mainly because they AREN'T a team yet. They haven't had a chance to train together, and as such were overwhelmed by their stronger opponent. That makes sense. My problem with this comic comes more from the fact that it spent the entire issue telling us that the Titans needed more training... It was kind of boring. This entire issue consisted of a random Titan attacking and getting a slight advantage on SB, and then SB defeating them, before the next random Titan attacked, meeting with the same results, until the entire team had lost. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't know if we needed to spend this entire issue on that.

Score: 6 1/2 out of 10.
teen titans #5
Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this issue more now, just to see Red Robin, Kid Flash and Bunker get beaten by Superboy; way too much arrogance between them three so far.
    Glad to see more focus on Solstice, who, from what I've seen so far, would be a great character to read and engage with the audience due to her light-hearted attitude and cheery nature - not everything with teenagers has to resolve around angst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you want to see Superboy beating up on various Titans, this is definitely the issue for you, B-Guymer! :P SB definitely won't disappoint! I actually like the current Solstice way more than the pre-reboot Solstice, and can see myself becoming a big fan of her and Kid Flash(who has grown on me the past few issues). But yeah, with all the angst between Red Robin, Wonder Girl, Skitter and probably Superboy down the road, it's nice to have some lightheartedness with Solstice and Kid Flash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud to say I am caught up this week on comics baby!!! ^_^

    Now, my feelings about TT. I enjoyed the comic, felt like a filler issue to lead the next step for Superboy AND the Teen Titans. This fight could've lasted a few pages, then went on to whatever is next. I'm really starting to like Bunker and Solstice. I also like how she took the time and talked to Superboy to get him thinking...that was of course before he head butted her lol.

    I hope next issue we get some training going on....I want to see some Batman training the Robins type training lol.

    I am looking forward to the next issue though...wish I could say the same for JLD :| lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, nicely done, Lisha! I'm ALMOST there myself, as I only have one more comic to read out of this week's books(and then a bunch of reviews to type up). Agreed on this issue completely. I mean I liked it, but it really didn't have much meat to it. It was okay. And this team DEF needs some team training! A base would be nice too, since they're basically living out of Red Robin's back-up penthouse!

    As for JLD... UGH! I read that earlier today, and am NOT looking forward to typing up a review for it... It was sucktacular! :/

    ReplyDelete