Saturday, June 2, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #39

Hey X-Maniacs, JT here again with another annual and another review. This time we're going over to the Marvel side of things with The Amazing Spider-Man Annual. So, without any further stalling, let's do it to it!

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #39

Summary: This issue actually starts off really quickly. We kicked things off with Peter helping Grady with another time based project because apparently he didn't learn his lesson when he almost destroyed New York. Peter ends up in a world where no one remembers Peter Parker and he pretty much doesn't exist. It isn't until he stumbles around to certain places that he relives old memories, which cause more people to remember him. Also, being weird out of place character in this world, it causes time related Earthquakes all over New York until Peter gets there, which triggers a memory he relives. Also, he hangs out with Uncle Ben. Anyway, he keeps reliving this memories and doing things until Time eventually fixes itself and he exists again or something. The issue ends with him telling Grady to take the experiment apart to which Grady obliges, and Pete then says goodbye to Uncle Ben, who's still around somehow before he fades away... or something.


Thoughts: I'm sorry but I couldn't get into this issue, I'm sure it showed above but I just didn't enjoy it. One, how many times does Grady have to screw up time before he moves on to a new experiment?! Secondly, I'm not a big fan of time jumps unless they pay off, and this didn't. Nothing really happened but Pete reliving things that happened... so... yeah. Also, he admitted the world was better off without him, so basically he was fine with Norman Osborn not curing cancer as long as he got to exist. What an ass.  Another thing I'm tired of is Annuals being an excuse to bring Uncle Ben back. Last year's annual had Uncle Ben too, and at least then he was evil and the story was good, this was just basically him patting Peter on the back every two pages and saying "Great Job, Pete!" Add that with the fact they basically not only recycled the Grady storyline thing but the "People needed help from Peter, not Spider-Man!" thing... which is exactly what happened the LAST time Pete helped Grady. I could have really done without reading this comic.

Score:  2/10

Flash Thompson: What kinda name is Mister Fantastic? Guy's a beanpole! He ought to get a look at me before he goes calling himself "Fantastic."

Well, thankfully that review is done with. If you agreed or if you actually enjoyed this issue feel free to let me know what you thought, and until next time, I'm your friendly neighborhood blogger-man, Jason Todd, signing off!

4 comments:

  1. Hey JT and VampX, got some interesting news while surfing the net. It seems that AvX #5 ends the first arc with the PF actually choosing it's host. Also, a major change would occur that will prove bad for the team Avengers (so it appears) as #6 enters arc 2. Also, scrap what you think you know about the PF's power because evidently the PF will be performing feats never seen before, quite different from the past. Guess PF has been holding out or possibly holding back. Also, a hero steps up out of the shadows in a major way....the founder of the X-men. That's right!...Professor X is back and rekindling his importance (and hopefully takes back his leadership role from Scott Summers). Wonder if Legion will return with him...after Age of X, I believe he never left his side thus caring for his son. So in essence I'm really looking forward to issue 5 and the second heavy hitting storyarc. I honestly don't know what's gonna happen now with the unseen abilities of the PF. Plus the host wasn't revealed, so it definitely could be a jaw dropper. Everyone is expecting Hope or Scarlett Witch! What if the host was Prof. X or Legion...what if its Cable or a wild card such as one of the Avengers...Captain America or Thor? Ha! Guess we will soon find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def liked this annual more than you did, mi amigo. I thought it was uber predictable and all, but I think I had it pegged in the 7-8 range. But then I also don't remember last years annual(or do I... wasn't Uncle Ben evil in it?), so there's that. Well, there's a bunch of money you can't get back! You should have reviewed AGP #2 instead! :P

    I was actually discussing the fact that this issue of AvX is the end of the first act(I think with JW maybe?), meaning the end of this issue should be BIG. I'm expecting the Phoenix to do something unexpected like kill Hope, because so far this event hasn't had it's major death, and Marvel does love killing somebody off during their events. But yeah, ANYTHING could happen, which makes this issue so intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten about last year's annual, but, man, now I dislike this issue even MORE, because that story was definitely much, much better. I'm with you on this one, JT. Between the fact that we just had a time-travel story AND we seem to have Uncle Ben returning every few months or so to hug Peter, I really feel like this issue was mostly forgettable. Reed did an OK job trying to convey the emotions that Peter would feel, but I've been reading Spider-Man WAY too long to buy it. (Can you tell that I'm behind in Spidey when I'm just getting to this issue?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right?! You're playing some serious catch-up JW. And I agree, this issue seemed like a low rent version of the previous, EXTREMELY AWESOME annual with the evil Uncle Ben, which brought something different to the character, as opposed to this convoluted time travel story where Uncle Ben somehow stuck around through the years and hugged Peter...

    ReplyDelete