Tuesday, October 16, 2012

First X-Men #3(of 5?)

I think this was announced as a 5 issue mini-series, but it doesn't say so on the cover, thus explaining the question mark in the title.  I haven't been all that high on this mini, but hey, I'm here, it's here, my laptop is here, let's give it a go and see what happens!

First X-Men #3

Summary:  This issue gets started with an amnesiac Namor(who was a hobo at this time) beating up Wolverine's First X-Men squad and the feds, who were sent in to apprehend Namor(who nobody knew was Namor).  Agent Duncan(who will go on to work with Prof. Xavier and has no real hatred towards mutants) tells Wolverine that fire seems to hurt crazy Namor, so Wolvie has Bomb blast both Wolvie and Namor, at which time they both land in the water.  Duncan lets Wolvie and company leave the scene, while Namor doesn't resurface for quite some time, leading to the feds figuring he was dead.  Later on, Sabretooth sleeps with Holo, and decides that he and Holo were leaving Wolvie's merry little band to start a life somewhere !!??!).  Wolvie claims that the team was close to winning(winning what, I don't know...), so Holo decides to stay, which leads to Sabretooth reluctantly sticking around.  Meanwhile, a mutant named Virus sticks himself on to Yeti's brother, which seems to be some sort of plan Trask and the feds had.  Wolvie's crew attacks the FBI office holding Yeti's brother and are met with minimal resistance.  Wolvie cuts Virus off of Yeti's brother, and also manage to free a few other captive mutants before heading back to their base.  Wolvie's crew is pleased by their success, however, Virus is also pleased, and tells the feds that the seed to Wolvie's defeat had been planted.

Thoughts: Okay, I'm just gonna come right out and say it, I didn't like this comic.  As in at all.  I'm not a fan of the story, I don't like the art(what the hell is wrong with Sabretooth's mouth?!?), the characters don't interest me, there's really nothing here I like.  Sabretooth as a good guy who wants to settle down with Holo?!  What the hell am I reading here?!  I think I'm going to do something I NEVER do, and that's drop this mini before it concludes.  And I actually picked up all of that awful Space Punisher mini!  But yeah, I think I'm done here.  You can't say I didn't give this a real shot...

Score: 3 1/2 out of 10.
first x-men #3
I can't even find words to describe how awful that shot of Sabretooth is...

2 comments:

  1. Oh its not a mini, its a full-on regular series.
    Although it doesn't take a genius to see that Holo's gonna die or Sabretooth gonna do something murderous and then she'll shun him and then he becomes the evil saber-tooth we now sometimes enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Did Marvel make an announcement? I can't believe Neal Adams would do an ongoing series. I'd be happy to hear it, though I would expect them to stop charging $3.99 an issue.

    LOL at X's hate of the art. I've generally liked the old-school look of this series, but there have been some bad panels - the one X posted is particularly atrocious.

    I've enjoyed this series because it scratches the same itch "X-Men: First Class" did - stories about mutants in the pre-"X-men" days. You know Sabretooth is going to betray the team at some point, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Holo has been playing him this entire time.

    ReplyDelete