Thursday, March 28, 2013

Age of Ultron #3

Hey there X-Maniacs, X here to start this comic week off right!  As evidenced by Monday's Best of the Rest post, I had to sift through a lot of mediocrity last week.  This week?  This week I'm hoping for BIG things!  And tonight, we'll get started with Marvel's big event, the Age of Ultron.  That's up right now.  After that, it'll be Young Avengers.  This should be a great comic reading night...  Here's hoping!

Age of Ultron #3(of 10):

Summary: Captain America has come up with a plan!  Which is a good thing, since prior to this point, all he's been doing is sitting in the corner moping.  Anyway, Cap's plan is to trade one of the heroes to Ultron, since it appears that Ultron has been bartering with criminals for heroes.  Luke Cage and She-Hulk both think they should be the one to get traded, since they were both strong and tough to kill.  In the end, Shulkie "wins"(if you can call it that...) and is knocked out by Luke, who carries her to Ultron's space ship.  Luke gets inside and is shocked to see the Vision as the apparent leader of the Ultron droids.  Besides that, Black Panther, Red Hulk and Taskmaster are stealing Ultron heads in Chicago.

Thoughts: This issue went by FAST!  I mean it took me like a minute or two to breeze through it!  And to be honest, I liked it better than the first two issues.  That's not to say that I loved it, as there were some things I didn't get, but it was, for me, a step in the right direction.  Would I have sent both Luke and Shulkie, my two remaining powerhouses, into the jaws of Ultron?  Probably not.  Do I believe for a second that Vision is the true leader of the Ultron droids?  Nope.  But I am looking forward to the next issue, and am hoping my enjoyment of this series continues to grow.

Score: 7 1/2 out of 10.
luke cage age of ultron #3
If you've never used "Sweet Christmas" in your everyday life, you should.

3 comments:

  1. Also, mi amigo, let us not forget that Shulkie ripped Vision in half during Disassembled, so... her being the bargaining chip may not bold well for the Jade Giantess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... is panther dead? he landed on his neck, and the bottom right panel shows taskmaster checking his pulse with a saddened look in the next panel and he is left for dead after the explosions... I don't think he is, but IF he is I will be severely upset. Reason being: Bendis had no idea how to write him or throw him into the story and make him matter... but that is only what I will feel if he is dead, and I doubt that... This moved by really fast i agree! but I am enjoying it because its a mystery right now and the heroes are making some interesting choices.

    -Totally agree on the vision thing, JT! I did love how they realized in this issue that ultron is still just a robot but he has made himself to believe that he NEEDS human desires... thought that bit was interesting and a nice way to make sense of why the bartering is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the number of deaths we've chalked up -- Human Torch, Mr. Fantastic, and the Thing in "Fantastic Four" #5 AU and Black Panther, Hulk, Jessica Jones, Red Hulk, and Thor in this issue -- really confirms that something is up continuity-wise. I read somewhere that we're going to get some mid-series twist that shifts the action and I wonder if it's going to be some sort of "Heroes Reborn" twist that shows that they're in an alternate universe or something.

    I thought this issue was great. It was really tense and I like how everything so far is logically flowing from one event to another. Hawkeye finds Spidey, Spidey tells them about Hammerhead and the Owl wanting to see him, they develop a plan to send in Jennifer and Luke to get more information. Bendis doesn't usually give us such logical scripting, but he's really excelling at it here. Plus, I agree with Cap Von Trapp that the stuff about Ultron essentially keeping around enough people to gloat is fascinating. It's clearly the fatal flaw that they're going to exploit, but it's so much better than, I don't know, the villain revealing his plans to the captured hero and then leaving him to be killed by a death machine. I really bought it and I'm intrigued by where he goes with it. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete